Local Court > Types of cases

Type of cases

The NSW Local Court hears different types of cases, such as:

  • civil cases
  • criminal cases
  • bail applications
  • applications for apprehended violence orders (AVO)
  • some family law cases
  • appeals against decisions of the RMS 
  • annulment applications
Use the navigation bar on the left of the screen for more information about these types of cases.

Confused about legal terms?

The LawAssist online legal dictionary explains common legal terms and phrases, including these definitions:                
  • a civil case is a dispute between individuals, companies, associations or government agencies - for example, disputes about debts, contracts, compensation for injury or damage, wills and employment
  • a criminal case is a case to decide whether a person who has been charged is guilty of a crime

Need help? 

Call LawAccess NSW 1300 888 529                 

Before starting any court proceedings you should check which court or tribunal is right for your matter. Call LawAccess NSW for help.

LawAccess NSW is a free government telephone service that provides legal information, referrals and in some cases, advice for people who have a legal problem in New South Wales.

Visit www.lawaccess.justice.nsw.gov.au

The Representing yourself section of the LawAccess website can help you if you have a legal problem in New South Wales. Representing yourself explains legal procedures and forms for court and tribunal cases. It provides:

  • step by step guides to starting and running your case
  • instructions for filling out court forms
  • checklists and frequently asked questions
  • information on alternatives to court
  • contacts for further information and advice

Need legal advice or information?

Staff at the NSW Local Court cannot give legal advice. Find out where to get legal advice or information. 

Solve your problem without going to court

Community Justice Centres provide experienced mediators free of charge, to help people in dispute reach an agreement.


​  The information on this site is a guide only and is not legal advice - see disclaimer.