Local Court > Types of cases

Family law                  

Most family law matters, such as divorce, are not heard in the local court. They are dealt with by the Family Court of Australia or the Federal Magistrates Court of Australia.

The New South Wales Local Court has limited jurisdiction to hear some family law applications such as:

  • property settlements
  • residence orders
The forms used in the local court for family law matters family court forms.

For more information about family law, forms and fees and publications, refer to:

The National Enquiry Centre (NEC) is the entry point for all telephone and email enquiries on family law court matters (Federal Magistrates Court and Family Court of Australia). The NEC can provide information and procedural advice, forms and brochures and referral advice to community and support services. NEC staff cannot provide legal advice.                

Need help?

Call LawAccess NSW 1300 888 529

LawAccess NSW is a free government telephone service that provides legal information, referrals and in some cases, advice for people that have a legal problem in New South Wales.




Solve your problem without going to court   

Community Justice Centres provide experience mediators free of charge, to help people in dispute reach an agreement.

Need legal advice and information?

Staff at the NSW Local Court cannot give legal advice.  Find out where to get legal advice or information.

The information on this site is a guide only and is not legal advice - see disclaimer.