You owe someone money

Disputes about money can be resolved with mediation.  Community Justice Centres provide experienced mediators free of charge, to help people in dispute reach and agreement.

If you have received a Statement of Claim you can pay the money or apply to pay by instalments. If you don't owe the money you can defend the claim. The information sheet below will provide more detail.    

Have you received a Statement of Claim? [PDF 30kb] [DOC 32kb] 

If you receive a Statement of Claim and do nothing, the person issuing the claim can apply to the court for a judgment to be entered against you. A judgment can affect your credit history and can result in further action being taken against you to recover the money. If you are not sure what to do, get help, call LawAccess on 1300 888529.

Find more information about civil cases at the Local Court.            

Need more information?                  

LawAssist provides information specific to people who are being chased for a debt. LawAssist can help you if you have a legal problem in New South Wales and are representing yourself.  LawAssist explains legal procedures and forms for court and tribunal cases. LawAssist provides:                

  • step by step guides to running your case

  • instructions for filling out court forms

  • checklists and frequently asked questions

  • information on alternatives to court

  • contacts for further information and advice  

Need help?

Call LawAccess NSW 1300 888 529

LawAccess NSW is a free government telephone service that provides legal information, referrals and in some cases, advice for people who have a legal problem in New South Wales.                  






Solve your problem without going to court   

Community Justice Centres can provide experienced mediators free of charge, to help people in dispute reach an agreement.

Need legal advice or information?

Staff at the NSW Local Court cannot give legal advice. Find out where to get legal advice or information.    



   The information on this site is a guide only and is not legal advice - see disclaimer.