Disputes with neighbours don't have to end up at court. Community Justice Centres provide free mediation to help people in dispute reach an agreement.

You can often deal with noise that disturbs you without involving the council or Police or going to court. The Environment Protection Authority provides helpful information on dealing with neighbourhood noise such as barking dogs, intruder alarms and noise from vehicles.

Need help?

Call LawAccess NSW 1300 888 529

Before starting any court proceedings you should check which court or tribunal is right for your matter. Call LawAccess NSW for help.

LawAccess NSW is a free government telephone service that provides legal information, referrals and in some cases, advice for people who have a legal problem in New South Wales.


The Representing yourself section of the LawAccess website can help you if you have a legal problem in New South Wales. Representing yourself explains legal procedures and forms for court and tribunal cases. It provides:

  • step by step guides to starting and running your case
  • instructions for filling out court forms
  • checklists and frequently asked questions
  • information on alternatives to court
  • contacts for further information and advice





Solve your problem without going to court   

Community Justice Centres provide experienced mediators free of charge, to help people in dispute reach an agreement.     

Need legal advice or information?

Staff at the NSW Local Court cannot give legal advice. Find out  where to get legal advice or information.      

        The information on this site is a guide only and is not legal advice - see disclaimer.