Local Court > Your legal problem is about...

Police and crime

Most criminal offences heard by a local court are commenced by New South Wales police. If you have been charged with a criminal offence you will receive a Court Attendance Notice.

You will also receive a Court Attendance Notice if you had received a penalty notice or infringement and have chosen to have the matter heard by a court.

A Court Attendance Notice is a document that tells you:

  • details of the alleged offence
  • which court will hear your case
  • when and where to attend court

If you have received a Court Attendance Notice, find out more about criminal cases.

Need help?

Call LawAccess NSW 1300 888 529

Before starting any court proceedings you should check which court or tribunal is right for your matter. Call LawAccess NSW for help.

LawAccess NSW is a free government telephone service that provides legal information, referrals and in some cases, advice for people who have a legal problem in New South Wales.

Visit www.lawaccess.justice.nsw.gov.au

The Representing yourself section of the LawAccess website can help you if you have a legal problem in New South Wales. Representing yourself explains legal procedures and forms for court and tribunal cases. It provides:

  • step by step guides to starting and running your case
  • instructions for filling out court forms
  • checklists and frequently asked questions
  • information on alternatives to court
  • contacts for further information and advice



Need legal advice or information? 

Staff at the NSW Local Court cannot give legal advice. Find out where to get legal advice or information.



​The information on this site is a guide only and is not legal advice - see disclaimer.