Local Court > Sentencing, orders & appeals > Orders and judgments in civil cases

Orders and judgments in civil cases

In civil cases, a court can make an order or a judgment, or both. An order is usually made during the case ordering a party to file or serve documents or do other things.

A judgment is the order a magistrate or assessor makes when deciding the case.  

A default judgment can be given in cases where there is no defence filed.  

After a judgment or default judgment is made, the amount to be paid is due immediately. If a defendant does not pay, the judgment amount can be enforced.

Read more information about enforcing a judgment.

If a default judgment has been entered and a defendant wants to file a defence, they can apply to have the default judgment set aside. This is done by filing a notice of motion. You should get legal advice about your defence and what to include in the notice of motion.

Need help?

Call LawAccess NSW 1300 888 529

LawAccess NSW is a free government telephone service that provides legal information, referrals and in some cases, advice for people who have a legal problem in New South Wales. 





​The information on this site is a guide only and is not legal advice - see disclaimer.