Local Court > What to expect in court > Going to court for a civil case

Settling a civil case                


Civil disputes can be settled by an agreement between the parties involved. If the parties can reach a settlement there is no need for a court hearing.

Where parties agree on a settlement, they should put their agreement in writing and each party should sign the agreement. This type of agreement is called 'terms of settlement' or 'consent orders'.

Formalising a consent order

The agreement is then presented to the court and a judicial officer will consider if the agreement is appropriate and formalise it. The vast majority of civil cases are settled without a court hearing.

Many civil matters are settled during the course of a court hearing. Others are settled after judgment and when an appeal has been filed.








Image of two people in discussion

Need help?  

Call LawAccess NSW for free legal information. Telephone 1300 888 529 


The information on this site is a guide only and is not legal advice - see disclaimer.